- Who, me? I’m 39 years old, a husband and a dad to two kids (13 & 2). I grew up on the mean (really calm) streets (highways?) of Mukwonago, WI, and moved to the area in 2000. For about 15 years, I was a radio personality at a local country station, but I decided that if I was going to support a family, I needed to stop playing around and get a real job. So, I left radio and started working in advertising. I’m now a VP at EPIC Creative.
2. How did you get into crossfit?
- One of our agency’s clients, Eggology Egg Whites, is a sponsor of the CrossFit Games. I attended the Games in Carson, Cal. in 2016, and when I came back, the client suggested that I enroll in CrossFit so that I could start “living the lifestyle.” I contacted Alex right about the time that the gym was moving to the Highway 33 location.
3. How long have you been doing it?
- It has been almost exactly one year since I started at A1 CrossFit.
4. What’s your biggest crossfit accomplishment so far?
- My biggest accomplishment has been maintaining a schedule of going to the gym regularly – 4-7 times a week – for about the entire year. When I used to go to a globo gym, I would go in spurts. A full week here. A month off, there. Now I feel bad if I miss more than a day if I’m not traveling for work, and if I am traveling, I generally drop into the nearest box.
5. What keeps you coming back for more?
- The community at A1 is so awesome. I typically work out at 5 a.m. weekday mornings, and it’s more fun than you could possibly imagine. It’s like a team and it’s welcoming to anyone who decides they want to come suffer with us. I actually feel guilty if there is a day or two that I miss. When I first made the decision to come, I expected CrossFit to be exclusionary, but it was and has been the most inclusive, encouraging and camaraderie-filled experience I have had since high school football. I recommended it to anyone of any age or ability.
6. What is your favorite thing about A1?
- I see a lot of different CrossFit boxes when I travel. Alex really has developed A1 into a gem. It’s clean, spacious and has more new equipment than most gyms. Plus, the community that he has built is phenomenal.
7. If you could have one superpower, what would it be, and what would your superhero name be?
- The tossup is always to either be invisible or to fly. I’d like to be inflyvisible. So, I’m only invisible if I’m flying. My superhero name? It would probably just be “Fuzz,” because I think I am at my limit of juggling between nicknames and my real name.